Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A ceremonious act of deference or obeisance, especially a low bow performed while placing the right palm on the forehead.
2. A greeting in various Muslim cultures.
Used as a greeting in various Muslim cultures.
tr. & intr.v. sa·laamed, sa·laam·ing, sa·laams
To greet with or perform a salaam.
1. (Islam) a Muslim form of salutation consisting of a deep bow with the right palm on the forehead
2. (Islam) a salutation signifying peace, used chiefly by Muslims
(Islam) to make a salaam or salute (someone) with a salaam
[C17: from Arabic salām peace, from the phrase assalām 'alaikum peace be to you]
1. a salutation meaning “peace,” used esp. in Islamic countries.
2. a very low bow or obeisance, esp. with the palm of the right hand placed on the forehead.v.i., v.t.
3. to salute with a salaam.
[1605–15; < Arabic salām peace]
Past participle: salaamed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||salaam - a deep bow; a Muslim form of salutation|
|Verb||1.||salaam - greet with a salaam|
salute - greet in a friendly way; "I meet this men every day on my way to work and he salutes me"