Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One who is employed to take and appraise samples, as of a food product.
2. A mechanical device that is used to obtain and analyze samples.
3. A decorative piece of cloth embroidered with various designs or mottoes in a variety of stitches, serving as an example of skill at needlework.
a. A representative collection or selection: a sampler of American short-story writers.
b. A variety; an assortment.
5. An electronic device used to copy and digitally manipulate a segment from an audio recording for use in a new recording.
[Senses 3 and 4, partly Middle English, model (from Anglo-Norman *essamplur) and partly short for Middle English ensampler (from Anglo-Norman ensamplour), both from Late Latin exemplārium, model, copy, from Latin, copy; see exemplar.]
1. a person who takes samples
2. (Knitting & Sewing) a piece of embroidery executed as an example of the embroiderer's skill in using a variety of stitches: often incorporating numbers, letters, and the name and age of the embroiderer in a decorative panel
3. (Pop Music) music a piece of electronic equipment used for sampling
4. (Music, other) a recording comprising a collection of tracks from other albums, intended to stimulate interest in the featured products
sam•pler(ˈsæm plər, ˈsɑm-)
1. a person who samples.
2. a piece of cloth embroidered with various stitches, serving to show a beginner's skill in needlework.
3. a collection of samples.
4. an electronic device that digitally encodes and stores samples of sound.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sampler - an observation station that is set up to make sample observations of something|
observation station - a station set up for making observations of something
|2.||sampler - someone who samples food or drink for its quality|
critic - anyone who expresses a reasoned judgment of something
wine taster - a taster who evaluates the quality of wines
|3.||sampler - an assortment of various samples; "a candy sampler"; "a sampler of French poets"|
|4.||sampler - a piece of embroidery demonstrating skill with various stitches|
(= person) → Probierer(in) m(f)
(Sew) → Stickmustertuch nt
(= record) → Auswahlplatte f