Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to sassafras: Sassafras tea, sassafras oil
1. A deciduous eastern North American tree (Sassafras albidum) having irregularly lobed leaves and aromatic bark, leaves, and roots.
2. The dried root bark of this plant, used as a source of safrole and formerly as a flavoring.
[Spanish sasafrás, from Late Latin saxifragia, kind of herb, variant of (herba) saxifraga, saxifrage; see saxifrage.]
1. (Plants) an aromatic deciduous lauraceous tree, Sassafras albidum, of North America, having three-lobed leaves and dark blue fruits
2. (Plants) the aromatic dried root bark of this tree, used as a flavouring, and yielding sassafras oil
3. (Plants) Austral any of several unrelated trees having a similar fragrant bark
[C16: from Spanish sasafrás, of uncertain origin]
1. an E North American tree, Sassafras albidum, having both oval and two- or three-lobed leaves.
2. the aromatic bark of its root, used as a flavoring agent.
[1570–80; < Sp sasafrás]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sassafras - yellowwood tree with brittle wood and aromatic leaves and bark; source of sassafras oil; widely distributed in eastern North America|
sassafras - dried root bark of the sassafras tree
laurel - any of various aromatic trees of the laurel family
genus Sassafras - a genus of sassafras
sassafras oil - oil from root bark of sassafras trees; used in perfumery and as a disinfectant
|2.||sassafras - dried root bark of the sassafras tree|
flavorer, flavoring, flavourer, flavouring, seasoning, seasoner - something added to food primarily for the savor it imparts