scapular(redirected from scapulars)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Roman Catholic Church
a. A monk's sleeveless outer garment that hangs from the shoulders and sometimes has a cowl.
b. A pair of pieces of cloth joined by shoulder bands and worn under clothing on the chest and back as a sacramental, sometimes entailing lay affiliation with a religious order.
2. One of the feathers covering the shoulder of a bird.
adj. also scap·u·lar·y (-lĕr′ē) Anatomy
Of or relating to the shoulder or scapula.
[Middle English scapulare, from Late Latin scapulāre, from neuter of scapulāris, pertaining to the shoulders or scapulae, from scapula, shoulder; see scapula.]
(Anatomy) anatomy of or relating to the scapula
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) part of the monastic habit worn by members of many Christian, esp Roman Catholic, religious orders, consisting of a piece of woollen cloth worn over the shoulders, and hanging down in front and behind to the ankles
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) two small rectangular pieces of woollen cloth joined by tapes passing over the shoulders and worn under secular clothes in token of affiliation to a religious order
3. (Zoology) any of the small feathers that are attached to the humerus of a bird and lie along the shoulder
scap•u•lar1(ˈskæp yə lər)
1. of or pertaining to the shoulders or the scapula or scapulas.n.
2. one of the feathers originating from a bird's shoulder.
[1680–90; < New Latin scapulāris]
scap•u•lar2(ˈskæp yə lər)
1. a loose sleeveless monastic garment.
2. either of two small cloth pieces joined by strings passing over the shoulders, worn under clothing as a badge of affiliation with a religious order or as an act of religious devotion.
[1475–85; < Medieval Latin scapulāre, n. use of neuter of scapulāris (adj.). See scapular1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scapular - a feather covering the shoulder of a bird|
|2.||scapular - garment consisting of a long wide piece of woolen cloth worn over the shoulders with an opening for the head; part of a monastic habit|
garment - an article of clothing; "garments of the finest silk"
monastic habit - a long loose habit worn by monks in a monastery
|Adj.||1.||scapular - relating to or near the shoulder blade|