Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to scion: Toyota
1. A descendant or heir, especially of a wealthy or prominent family: scion of the ruling dynasty.
2. Botany A detached shoot or bud from a plant that is joined to a rootstock in grafting.
[Middle English, from Old French cion, possibly of Germanic origin.]
1. a descendant, heir, or young member of a family
2. (Botany) a shoot or twig of a plant used to form a graft
[C14: from Old French cion, of Germanic origin; compare Old High German chīnan to sprout]
1. a descendant or offspring, esp. of an illustrious family.
2. a shoot or twig, esp. one cut for grafting or planting.
[1275–1325; Middle English: shoot, twig < Old French cion < Frankish *kī- (compare Old English cīnan, Old Saxon kīnan, Old High German chīnan to sprout, Old English cīth, Old Saxon kīth sprout)]
The bud or stem of a desired variety that is grafted on to the rootstock (root system) of another plant.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scion - a descendent or heir; "a scion of royal stock"|
descendanthéritier d'un trône