Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. screenings(used with a sing. or pl. verb) Refuse, such as waste coal, separated by a screen.
2. The mesh material used to make door or window screens.
3. A presentation of a movie.
4. A systematic examination or assessment, done especially to detect an unwanted substance or attribute.
1. (Medicine) med
a. the process of examining people for the presence of a disease
b. (as modifier): a screening programme.
2. (Film) the act or an instance of showing a film at a cinema or on television
3. (Broadcasting) the act or an instance of showing a film at a cinema or on television
4. the process of examining passengers and luggage for the presence of weapons etc
1. the activity of a person who screens, as in ascertaining the qualifications of applicants.
2. the showing of a motion picture.
3. screenings, (used with a sing. or pl. v.)
a. undesirable material that has been separated from usable material by means of a screen.
b. extremely fine coal.
4. the meshed material used in screens for windows and doors.
Blocking the goalie’s view.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||screening - the display of a motion picture |
display - exhibiting openly in public view; "a display of courage"
preview - a screening for a select audience in advance of release for the general public
|2.||screening - fabric of metal or plastic mesh|
cloth, fabric, textile, material - artifact made by weaving or felting or knitting or crocheting natural or synthetic fibers; "the fabric in the curtains was light and semitransparent"; "woven cloth originated in Mesopotamia around 5000 BC"; "she measured off enough material for a dress"
screen - a protective covering consisting of netting; can be mounted in a frame; "they put screens in the windows for protection against insects"; "a metal screen protected the observers"
|3.||screening - the act of concealing the existence of something by obstructing the view of it; "the cover concealed their guns from enemy aircraft"|
|4.||screening - testing objects or persons in order to identify those with particular characteristics|
testing - an examination of the characteristics of something; "there are laboratories for commercial testing"; "it involved testing thousands of children for smallpox"
genetic screening - analyzing a group of people to determine genetic susceptibility to a particular disease; "genetic screening of infants for phenylketonuria"
[film] → projection f
(MEDICINE) → test m (or tests mpl) de dépistage
[applicants, candidates] → filtrage m
[luggage, passengers] → contrôle m
n. escrutinio, averiguación, selección;
biochemical ___ → serie selectiva bioquímica;
multiphasic ___ → ___ múltiple;
prescriptive ___ → ___ prescrito.