Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A filmy or frothy layer of matter that forms on the surface of a liquid or body of water or on a hard surface.
2. The refuse or dross of molten metals.
3. Refuse or worthless matter.
4. Slang One, such as a person or an element of society, that is regarded as despicable or worthless.
v. scummed, scum·ming, scums
To remove the scum from.
To become covered with scum.
adj, -mier or -miest
1. of, resembling, consisting of, or covered with scum
2. dirty, unpleasant, or nasty
adj. -mi•er, -mi•est.
1. consisting of or having scum.
2. despicable; contemptible.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||scummy - of the most contemptible kind; "abject cowardice"; "a low stunt to pull"; "a low-down sneak"; "his miserable treatment of his family"; "You miserable skunk!"; "a scummy rabble"; "a scurvy trick"|
contemptible - deserving of contempt or scorn
|2.||scummy - covered with scum; "the scummy surface of the polluted pond"|
dirty, soiled, unclean - soiled or likely to soil with dirt or grime; "dirty unswept sidewalks"; "a child in dirty overalls"; "dirty slums"; "piles of dirty dishes"; "put his dirty feet on the clean sheet"; "wore an unclean shirt"; "mining is a dirty job"; "Cinderella did the dirty work while her sisters preened themselves"