Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to second class: Second class citizen
1. The group ranking next below the first, highest, or best group in a system of classification.
2. Travel accommodations ranking next below the highest or first class.
the class or grade next in value, quality, etc, to the first
1. of the class or grade next to the best in quality, etc
2. shoddy or inferior
3. of or denoting the class of accommodation in a hotel or on a train, etc, lower in quality and price than first class
a. (in Britain) of or relating to mail that is processed more slowly than first-class mail
b. (in the US and Canada) of or relating to mail that consists mainly of newspapers, etc
5. (Education) education See second110
by second-class mail, transport, etc
1. the class of accommodations inferior to first class but superior to third class.
2. the class of mail consisting of newspapers and periodicals not sealed against postal inspection.
1. of a secondary class or quality.
3. deprived of certain civil rights: second-class citizens.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||second class - not the highest rank in a classification|
rank - relative status; "his salary was determined by his rank and seniority"
|2.||second class - not the highest quality in a classification|
|3.||second class - a class of accommodations on a ship or train or plane that are less expensive than first class accommodations|
accommodation - living quarters provided for public convenience; "overnight accommodations are available"
|Adv.||1.||second class - by second class conveyance; "we traveled second class"|