Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
second hand 1
The hand on a clock or watch that marks the seconds.
second hand 2
An intermediary person or source: heard the news at second hand.
sec•ond hand(ˈsɛk ənd ˌhænd for 1; ˈsɛk ənd ˈhænd for 2,3 )
the hand that indicates the seconds on a clock or watch.Idioms:
at second hand, through an intermediate source: news heard at second hand.
[1425–75 for definition 3; 1750–60 for definition 1]
1. not directly known or experienced: secondhand knowledge.
2. previously used or owned: secondhand clothes.
3. dealing in previously used goods: a secondhand bookseller.adv.
4. after another user or owner: He bought it secondhand.
5. indirectly; at second hand: heard the news secondhand.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||second hand - an intermediate person; used in the phrase `at second hand'; "he could learn at second hand from books"|
|2.||second hand - hand marking seconds on a timepiece|
hand - a rotating pointer on the face of a timepiece; "the big hand counts the minutes"
|Adv.||1.||second hand - from a source of previously owned goods; "I prefer to buy second hand"|