Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to secondhand: secondhand smoke
1. Previously used by another; not new.
2. Dealing in previously used merchandise.
3. Obtained, derived, or borrowed from another; not original.
In an indirect manner; indirectly.
sec•ond hand(ˈsɛk ənd ˌhænd for 1; ˈsɛk ənd ˈhænd for 2,3 )
the hand that indicates the seconds on a clock or watch.Idioms:
at second hand, through an intermediate source: news heard at second hand.
[1425–75 for definition 3; 1750–60 for definition 1]
1. not directly known or experienced: secondhand knowledge.
2. previously used or owned: secondhand clothes.
3. dealing in previously used goods: a secondhand bookseller.adv.
4. after another user or owner: He bought it secondhand.
5. indirectly; at second hand: heard the news secondhand.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||secondhand - derived from what is primary or original; not firsthand; "a secondhand report"; "a secondhand account of a memory of something once read"; "most of our knowledge is secondhand"|
secondary - being of second rank or importance or value; not direct or immediate; "the stone will be hauled to a secondary crusher"; "a secondary source"; "a secondary issue"; "secondary streams"
|2.||secondhand - previously used or owned by another; "bought a secondhand (or used) car"|
old - of long duration; not new; "old tradition"; "old house"; "old wine"; "old country"; "old friendships"; "old money"
|Adv.||1.||secondhand - by indirect means; "I heard about it only secondhand or thirdhand"; "he prefers to buy secondhand"|
iz druge ruke