Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Intelligence-gathering activities conducted secretly by a government agency.
b. A government agency engaged in intelligence-gathering activities.
2. Secret Service A branch of the US Treasury Department concerned especially with protection of the president.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a government agency or department that conducts intelligence or counterintelligence operations
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) such operations
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a US government agency responsible for the protection of the president, the suppression of counterfeiting, and certain other police activities
1. the branch of government service that conducts secret investigations, esp. regarding espionage.
2. (caps.) a branch of the U.S. Department of the Treasury chiefly responsible for protecting the president and vice president and their families, and for apprehending counterfeiters.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Secret Service - the United States intelligence agency that protects current and former presidents and vice presidents and their immediate families and protects distinguished foreign visitors; detects and apprehends counterfeiters; suppresses forgery of government securities and documents|
Department of Homeland Security, Homeland Security - the federal department that administers all matters relating to homeland security
United States intelligence agency - an intelligence service in the United States
cục tình báo