Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to self-determination: Self-determination theory
1. Determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion; free will.
2. Freedom of the people of a given area to determine their own political status; independence.
self′-de·ter′mined (-tûr′mĭnd) adj.
self′-de·ter′min·ing (-tûr′mĭ-nĭng) adj. & n.
1. the power or ability to make a decision for oneself without influence from outside
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the right of a nation or people to determine its own form of government without influence from outside
1. freedom to live as one chooses, or to act or decide without consulting others.
2. freedom of a people to determine the way in which they shall be governed and whether or not they shall be self-governed.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||self-determination - government of a political unit by its own people|
sovereignty - government free from external control
local option - freedom of a local government to determine by popular vote the applicability of a controversial law in their jurisdiction
home rule - self-government in local matters by a city or county that is part of a national government
|2.||self-determination - determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion|