Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to semantic: Semantic Web, Semantic analysis
se·man·tic(sĭ-măn′tĭk) also se·man·ti·cal (-tĭ-kəl)
1. Of or relating to meaning, especially meaning in language.
2. Of, relating to, or according to the science of semantics.
[French sémantique, from Greek sēmantikos, significant, from sēmantos, marked, from sēmainein, sēman-, to signify, from sēma, sign.]
1. (Linguistics) of or relating to meaning or arising from distinctions between the meanings of different words or symbols
2. (Philosophy) of or relating to semantics
3. (Logic) logic concerned with the interpretation of a formal theory, as when truth tables are given as an account of the sentential connectives. Also: semantical
[C19: from Greek sēmantikos having significance, from sēmainein to signify, from sēma a sign]
1. of or pertaining to meaning or arising from the different meanings of words or other symbols: semantic change; semantic confusion.
2. of or pertaining to semantics.
[1655–65; < Greek sēmantikós having meaning, derivative of sēmant(ós) marked (sēman-, base of sēmaínein to show, mark + -tos verbal adj. suffix; akin to sêma sign)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||semantic - of or relating to meaning or the study of meaning; "semantic analysis"|