Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to senna: Ayrton Senna
1. Any of various plants in the pea family, chiefly of the genera Senna and Chamaecrista, having pinnately compound leaves and showy, nearly regular, usually yellow flowers, used as ornamentals and for medicinal purposes.
2. A preparation of the dried leaves of Senna alexandrina, used as a laxative.
[New Latin, from Arabic sanā; akin to Aramaic sanyā, a thorn-bush.]
1. (Plants) any of various tropical plants of the leguminous genus Cassia, esp C. angustifolia (Arabian senna) and C. acutifolia (Alexandrian senna), having typically yellow flowers and long pods
2. (Pharmacology) senna leaf the dried leaflets of any of these plants, used as a cathartic and laxative
3. (Pharmacology) senna pods the dried fruits of any of these plants, used as a cathartic and laxative
[C16: via New Latin from Arabic sanā]
(Biography) Ayrton (ˈɛətən). 1960–94, Brazilian racing driver: Formula One world champion (1988, 1990, 1991)
n., pl. -nas.
1. any plant, shrub, or tree belonging to the genus Cassia, of the legume family, having pinnate leaves and large clusters of flowers.
2. any of various cathartic drugs made from certain of these plants.
[1535–45; < New Latin < Arabic sanā]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||senna - any of various plants of the genus Senna having pinnately compound leaves and showy usually yellow flowers; many are used medicinally|
genus Senna - genus of shrubs and trees and herbs many of which are often classified as members of the genus Cassia
Cassia alata, ringworm bush, ringworm cassia, ringworm shrub, Senna alata - tropical shrub (especially of Americas) having yellow flowers and large leaves whose juice is used as a cure for ringworm and poisonous bites; sometimes placed in genus Cassia
avaram, Cassia auriculata, Senna auriculata, tanner's cassia - evergreen Indian shrub with vivid yellow flowers whose bark is used in tanning; sometimes placed in genus Cassia
Alexandria senna, Alexandrian senna, Cassia acutifolia, Cassia augustifolia, Indian senna, Senna alexandrina, tinnevelly senna, true senna - erect shrub having racemes of tawny yellow flowers; the dried leaves are used medicinally as a cathartic; sometimes placed in genus Cassia
Cassia occidentalis, coffee senna, mogdad coffee, Senna occidentalis, stinking weed, styptic weed - very leafy malodorous tropical weedy shrub whose seeds have been used as an adulterant for coffee; sometimes classified in genus Cassia