Also found in: Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
2. Obsolete, fornication or unlawful intercourse.
2. physical attraction between members of the sexes. — biomagnetic, adj.
2. a love of obscenity.
3. Psychiatry. an abnormal interest in feces, especially as a source of sexual excitement.
2. the use of sexually arousing or stimulating materials in literature, drama, art, etc.
3. the condition of being sexually stimulated.
4. a sexual drive or tendency.
5. an abnormally persistent sexual drive. Also erotism.
2. the state of being a eunuch.
2. a social system characterized by its regarding women as common property. — hetaerist, hetairist, n. — hetaeristic, hetairistic, adj.
2. masturbation. — onanist, n. — onanistic, adj.
2. the action of soliciting customers for a prostitute or of procuring women for sexual purposes. Also panderage.
2. a form of fetishism in which the sexual stimulus is a part of the body, as pictures of feet.
2. a prurient action or display. — priapismic, adj.
2. lustful or lecherous behavior. — salacious, adj.
1. Also called passive scopophilia. the deriving of sexual pleasure from viewing nude bodies, sexual acts, or erotic photographs; voyeurism.
2. Also called active scopophilia, scoptophilia. an abnormal desire to be seen, especially genitally; exhibitionism. — scopophiliac, n. — scopophilic, adj.
2. the actions or behavior of a whoremaster, or whoremonger.
- (To me they are) as as sexual as money; and, like money, unless they can engender passion, they are useless to me —W. P. Kinsella
The frame of reference for Kinsella’s double simile is the other woman.
- Batten’s [character in a novel] sex had wilted like a flag in the rain —George Garrett
- Celibate, like the fly in the heart of an apple —Jeremy Taylor
- An erection like a steeple —Jilly Cooper
- Erotic as an ape —Karl Shapiro
- I felt an abrupt rush of my semen, racing through me like twin rivers —Scott Spencer
- Her climax came … suddenly, like an accident —Scott Spencer
- Her sex power … hid in her eyes like a Sicilian bandit —Saul Bellow
- His sex beat about like the cane of a furious blind man —Amos Oz
- Horny as a tomcat —T. Coraghessan Boyle
- In her passional life she was direct —like an axe falling —Lawrence Durrell
- It’s rather like a sneeze —Truman Capote, responding to television interviewer’s question as to his feelings about sex
- It [a first sexual encounter] was best when it was finished … like having a cup of really good coffee and a Havana after an indifferently cooked but urgently needed meal —John Braine
- Just whispering “teenage sex” is like yelling fire in a crowded theatre —Ellen Goodman
- A lack of sexuality so total that her smart clothes and too heavy-make-up made her pathetic; like an unsuccessful geisha —John Fowles
- Like flowers groping toward the sun, millions of Americans are groping towards sexual nirvana —Anon
See Also: CHARACTERISTICS, NATIONAL
- Like hatred, sex must be articulated or, like hatred, it will produce a disturbing internal malaise —George Jean Nathan
- (Her husband complained she) made love like an eager, clumsy cellist —J. D. McClatchy
- My sex life … it’d make Moll Flanders look like she needed hormone therapy —Sue Miller
- The only sex we were exposed to was with dreadful old whores..like diseased orchids —Tennesse Williams, Playboy, April, 1973
- Orgasm is like a slight attack of apoplexy —Democritus
- Orgasm is like the tickling feeling you get inside your nose before you sneeze —Children’s 1972 sex education manual
- Pornography is like peanut butter —a little goes a long way —Arthur Morowitz, New York Times, October 5, 1986
- [Sexual] restraints fell from her like mere rags, or rather, like that dead skin which is scraped off in a steam bath —Marguerite Yourcenar
- Sensual as a ripe, thick-veined scarlet fruit —John Logan
- Sex becomes as routine as tying one’s shoes —Deborah Phillips, New York Times/Personal Health, October 8, 1986
See Also: COMMONPLACE
- Sex is a subject like every other subject. Every bit as interesting as agriculture —Muriel Spark
- Sex … it’s great stuff, like chocolate sundaes —Raymond Chandler
- Sexless as a machine —Ellen Glasgow
- Sexless as an anemic nun —Sinclair Lewis
- (Some men have a) sexual disposition as vigorous, indiscriminate, and as demanding, as a digestive tract —John Cheever
- Sexual pleasure, like rending pain, represents the stunning triumph of the immediate —Simone de Beauvoir
- She seems to regard sex as a wholesome, slightly silly indulgence, like dancing and nice dinners —Alice Munro
- Sometimes I feel like a public utility —Charles Johnson
The character who makes this comparison about herself in Johnson’s novel, Oxherding Tale, is a woman who has had “an army” of lovers.
- There were people … for whom love and sex came easy, without active solicitation, like a strong wind to which they had only to turn their faces —David Leavitt
- Virility … was like a gloss on him —Barbara Taylor Bradford
- Wears her sex like an expensive perfume —Lawrence Durrell
- (Lucille’s aunt had) wrapped her own dank virginity round her like someone sharing a mackintosh —Elizabeth Bowen
Past participle: sexed
|Noun||1.||sex - activities associated with sexual intercourse; "they had sex in the back seat"|
bondage - sexual practice that involves physically restraining (by cords or handcuffs) one of the partners
outercourse - sexual stimulation without vaginal penetration; "since pregnancy cannot happen if sperm are kept out of the vagina, outercourse is one method of birth control"
safe sex - sexual activity (especially sexual intercourse) with the use of measures (such as latex condoms) to avoid the transmission of disease (especially AIDS)
conception - the act of becoming pregnant; fertilization of an ovum by a spermatozoon
carnal knowledge, coition, coitus, sex act, sexual congress, sexual intercourse, sexual relation, copulation, intercourse, relation, congress - the act of sexual procreation between a man and a woman; the man's penis is inserted into the woman's vagina and excited until orgasm and ejaculation occur
pleasure - sexual gratification; "he took his pleasure of her"
love life, lovemaking, making love, sexual love, love - sexual activities (often including sexual intercourse) between two people; "his lovemaking disgusted her"; "he hadn't had any love in months"; "he has a very complicated love life"
carnal abuse - any lascivious contact by an adult with the sexual organs of a child (especially not involving sexual intercourse)
mating, pairing, sexual union, union, coupling, conjugation - the act of pairing a male and female for reproductive purposes; "the casual couplings of adolescents"; "the mating of some species occurs only in the spring"
facts of life, procreation, reproduction, breeding - the sexual activity of conceiving and bearing offspring
promiscuity, promiscuousness, sleeping around - indulging in promiscuous (casual and indiscriminate) sexual relations
lechery - unrestrained indulgence in sexual activity
gayness, homoeroticism, homosexualism, homosexuality, queerness - a sexual attraction to (or sexual relations with) persons of the same sex
bisexuality - sexual activity with both men and women
heterosexualism, heterosexuality, straightness - a sexual attraction to (or sexual relations with) persons of the opposite sex
|2.||sex - either of the two categories (male or female) into which most organisms are divided; "the war between the sexes"|
|3.||sex - all of the feelings resulting from the urge to gratify sexual impulses; "he wanted a better sex life"; "the film contained no sex or violence"|
feeling - the experiencing of affective and emotional states; "she had a feeling of euphoria"; "he had terrible feelings of guilt"; "I disliked him and the feeling was mutual"
|4.||sex - the properties that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive roles; "she didn't want to know the sex of the foetus"|
physiological property - a property having to do with the functioning of the body
|Verb||1.||sex - stimulate sexually; "This movie usually arouses the male audience"|
stimulate, stir, shake up, excite, shake - stir the feelings, emotions, or peace of; "These stories shook the community"; "the civil war shook the country"
tempt - try to seduce
|2.||sex - tell the sex (of young chickens)|
"The pleasure is momentary, the position ridiculous, and the expense damnable" [attributed to Lord Chesterfield]
"When I hear his steps outside my door I lie down on my bed, close my eyes, open my legs, and think of England" [Lady Hillingdon]
"Sex is what you can get. For some people, most people, it's the most important thing they can get without being born rich or smart or stealing" [Don DeLillo Underworld]
"Is sex dirty? Only if it's done right" [Woody Allen Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex]
"That [sex] was the most fun I ever had without laughing" [Woody Allen Annie Hall]
"My mother used to say, Delia, if S-E-X ever rears its ugly head, close your eyes before you see the rest of it" [Alan Ayckbourn Bedroom Farce]
"While we have sex in the mind, we truly have none in the body" [D.H. Lawrence Leave Sex Alone]
"There is more difference within the sexes than between them" [Ivy Compton-Burnett]
Sexual practices and terms
adultery, afterplay, algolagnia, anal intercourse, sodomy, or buggery, anilingus, autoeroticism, bagpiping, bestiality, bisexuality, bondage, coprophilia, cottaging, cunnilingus, felching, fellatio, fetishism, fisting or fist-fucking, flagellation, foreplay, fornication, frottage, heterosexuality, homosexuality, impotence, incest, lesbianism, masochism, masturbation, narcissism, necrophilia, nymphomania, oral sex, paedophilia, paraphilia, pederasty, premature ejaculation, rimming, rough trade, sadism, sadomasochism or S&M, safe sex, satyriasis, scopophilia, shrimping, soixante-neuf or sixty-nine, tribadism, troilism, voyeurism, water sports, urolagnia, or golden shower, zoophilia
inequalities between the sexes → desigualdades entre los sexos
the fair or gentle sex (euph) → el sexo debil, el bello sexo
the opposite sex → el sexo opuesto
the weaker sex (euph, pej) → el sexo debil
the film contains no sex or violence → la pelicula no contiene escenas eroticas or de sexo o de violencia
to have sex → tener relaciones sexuales (with con)
sex appeal N → atractivo m sexual, sex-appeal m
sex change N → cambio m de sexo
sex change operation N → operacion f de cambio de sexo
sex crime N (= criminality) → delitos mpl sexuales, delitos mpl contra la honestidad(Jur), delitos mpl contra la libertad sexual(Jur); (= single crime) → delito m (de naturaleza)sexual, delito m contra la honestidad(Jur), delito m contra la libertad sexual(Jur)
sex discrimination N → discriminacion f por cuestion de sexo
sex drive N → libido f, libido f, apetito m sexual
to have a high/low sex drive → tener la libido or libido alta/baja, tener mucho/poco apetito sexual
sex education N → educacion f sexual
sex game N → juego m erotico
sex hormone N → hormona f sexual
sex life N → vida f sexual
sex machine N (hum) → maquina f de hacer el amor, bestia mf en la cama
sex maniac N → maniaco/a m/f sexual
sex object N → objeto m sexual
sex offender N → delincuente mf sexual
sex organ N → organo m sexual
sex partner N → companero/a m/f (de cama), pareja f
sex scene N → escena f erotica, escena f de sexo
sex shop N → sex-shop m
sex symbol N → sex-simbol mf
sex therapist N → sexologo/a m/f, terapeuta mf sexual
sex therapy N → terapia f sexual
sex tourism N → turismo m sexual
He kept talking about sex → Il n'arretait pas de parler de sexe.
to have sex with sb → avoir des rapports sexuels avec qn
a star who appeals to both sexes → une star qui plait aux deux sexes
inequalities between the sexes → les inegalites entre les sexes
sex abuse n → sevices mpl sexuels
sex abuser n → auteur de sevices sexuels
sex act n → acte m sexuel
sex addict n → accro mf du sexe >
sex addiction n → addiction f sexuelle
sex aid n → gadget m sexuel
sex appeal n → sex-appeal m
sex change sex change operation n → changement m de sexe, operation f de changement de sexe
sex discrimination sexual discrimination n → discrimination f sexuelle
sex drive n → pulsion f sexuelle
sex education n → education f sexuelle
sex god n → sex symbol m
sex goddess n → sex symbol m