Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to shared: Shared Services
1. A part or portion belonging to, distributed to, contributed by, or owed by a person or group: The pirates argued over their shares of the treasure.
2. An equitable portion: do one's share of the work.
a. One of the equal parts into which the capital stock of a company is divided: bought 200 shares of the company's stock.
b. A unit of ownership in a mutual fund or other investment vehicle: bought two shares in a mutual fund.
c. shares Chiefly British Stocks: European shares jumped two percent. The fund invests half the money in bonds and half in shares.
v. shared, shar·ing, shares
a. To accord a share in (something) to another or others: shared her chocolate bar with a friend.
b. To divide and parcel out in shares; apportion: shared the estate among his heirs.
a. To participate in, use, enjoy, or experience jointly or in turns: share a responsibility; share a room.
b. To hold or have jointly with another or others: She shares my view about the election.
3. To relate (a secret or experience, for example) to another or others.
4. Computers To make (a digital file) accessible to other users on a network, as for copying and downloading.
1. To have a share or part: shared in the profits.
2. To allow someone to use or enjoy something that one possesses: Being in daycare taught the child to share.
3. To use or enjoy something jointly or in turns: There is only one computer, so we will have to share.
4. To talk about personal experiences or feelings with others.
To be concerned or partake equally or jointly, as in a business venture.
share′a·ble, shar′a·ble adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||shared - have in common; held or experienced in common; "two shared valence electrons forming a bond between adjacent nuclei"; "a shared interest in philately"|
joint - united or combined; "a joint session of Congress"; "joint owners"
unshared - not shared
|2.||shared - distributed in portions (often equal) on the basis of a plan or purpose|
distributed - spread out or scattered about or divided up