Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A layer of boards or of other wood or fiber materials applied to the outer studs, joists, and rafters of a building to strengthen the structure and serve as a base for an exterior weatherproof cladding.
2. Nautical An exterior covering on the underwater part of a ship's hull that protects it against marine growths.
3. The act of providing sheathing.
1. any material used as an outer layer, as on a ship's hull
2. (Building) boarding, etc, used to cover the wall studding or roof joists of a timber frame
1. a covering or outer layer, as one of metal plates on a ship's bottom.
2. material for forming any such covering.
3. the act of a person who sheathes.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sheathing - protective covering consisting, for example, of a layer of boards applied to the studs and joists of a building to strengthen it and serve as a foundation for a weatherproof exterior|