Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(Units) the full name for ton12
1. a unit of weight, equivalent to 2000 pounds (0.907 metric ton) avoirdupois (short ton) in the U.S. and 2240 pounds (1.016 metric tons) avoirdupois (long ton) in Great Britain.
2. Also called freight ton . a unit of volume for freight that weighs one ton, varying with the type of freight measured, as 40 cubic feet of oak timber or 20 bushels of wheat.
3. metric ton.
5. a unit of volume used in transportation by sea, commonly equal to 40 cubic feet (1.13 cu. m).
6. a unit of internal capacity of ships, equal to 100 cubic feet (2.83 cu. m) (register ton).
7. Often, tons. a great quantity; a lot: a ton of jokes.
[1350–1400; Middle English; variant of tun]
n., pl. tons (Fr. tôn).
1. high fashion; stylishness.
2. the current fashion, style, or vogue.
[1755–65; < French < Latin tonus tone]
a suffix formerly used to form nouns from adjectives: simpleton; singleton.
2,000 pounds. Also called S/T or STON.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||short ton - a United States unit of weight equivalent to 2000 pounds|
avoirdupois unit - any of the units of the avoirdupois system of weights
cental, cwt, short hundredweight, hundredweight, quintal, centner - a United States unit of weight equivalent to 100 pounds
kiloton - one thousand tons