Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A riverboat equipped with a theater, especially one that stops at towns along the river and offers performances.
2. One who seeks attention by ostentatious behavior; a showoff.
intr.v. show·boat·ed, show·boat·ing, show·boats
To show off.
1. (Nautical Terms) a paddle-wheel river steamer with a theatre and a repertory company
2. (Theatre) a paddle-wheel river steamer with a theatre and a repertory company
(intr) to perform or behave in a showy and flamboyant way
1. a boat, esp. a paddle-wheel steamer, used as a traveling theater.
2. a show-off.v.i.
3. to perform or behave flamboyantly.
A kind of floating theater that plied US inland waterways at the turn of the twentieth century stopping to give performances at various settlements.