Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. silverfish or sil·ver·fish·es
1. Any of various fishes having silvery scales, such as a tarpon or silverside.
2. Any of various small wingless insects of the order Thysanura, having a silvery body and a three-pronged tail, especially Lepisma saccharina, which feeds on the starchy material in bookbindings, clothing, and food.
n, pl -fish or -fishes
1. (Animals) a silver variety of the goldfish Carassius auratus
2. (Animals) any of various other silvery fishes, such as the moonfish Monodactylus argenteus
3. (Animals) any of various small primitive wingless insects of the genus Lepisma, esp L. saccharina, that have long antennae and tail appendages and occur in buildings, feeding on food scraps, bookbindings, etc: order Thysanura (bristletails)
n., pl. (esp. collectively) -fish, (esp. for kinds or species) -fish•es.
1. any of various silvery fishes, as the tarpon or silversides.
2. a wingless, silvery-gray insect, Lepisma saccharina, that feeds on starch in books, wallpaper, etc.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||silverfish - silver-grey wingless insect found in houses feeding on book bindings and starched clothing|
|2.||silverfish - a silvery variety of Carassius auratus|