Also found in: Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Any of numerous basic devices that alter the magnitude or direction, or both, of an applied force, traditionally including the lever, wedge, inclined plane, wheel and axle, pulley, and screw.
1. (General Physics) a simple device for altering the magnitude or direction of a force. The six basic types are the lever, wheel and axle, pulley, screw, wedge, and inclined plane
n., v. -chined, -chin•ing. n.
1. an apparatus consisting of interrelated parts with separate functions, used in the performance of some kind of work: a sewing machine.
a. a device that transmits or modifies force or motion.
b. Also called simple machine. any of several elementary mechanisms, as the lever, wheel and axle, pulley, wedge, or inclined plane.
c. a combination of simple machines.
3. an automobile or airplane.
4. any of various apparatus, devices, etc., that dispense things, esp. a vending machine.
5. any complex agency or operating system: the machine of government.
6. a group of persons that conducts or controls a political party or organization.
7. a person or thing that acts in a mechanical or automatic manner.
8. a mechanical contrivance formerly used for producing stage effects.
9. a literary contrivance introduced for special effect.v.t.
10. to make, prepare, or finish with a machine or machine tool.
[1540–50; < French < Latin māchina < Attic Greek mēchanḗ; see mechanicmagh-1]
|Noun||1.||simple machine - a device for overcoming resistance at one point by applying force at some other point|
inclined plane - a simple machine for elevating objects; consists of plane surface that makes an acute angle with the horizontal
lever - a simple machine that gives a mechanical advantage when given a fulcrum
mechanical device - mechanism consisting of a device that works on mechanical principles
pulley, pulley block, pulley-block, block - a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a groove in which a rope can run to change the direction or point of application of a force applied to the rope
wheel - a simple machine consisting of a circular frame with spokes (or a solid disc) that can rotate on a shaft or axle (as in vehicles or other machines)