Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Consisting or full of sinews, as:
a. Stringy and tough: a sinewy cut of beef.
b. Lean and muscular. See Synonyms at muscular.
2. Strong and vigorous: sinewy prose.
1. (Anatomy) consisting of or resembling a tendon or tendons
2. muscular; brawny
3. (esp of language, style, etc) vigorous; forceful
4. (of meat, etc) tough; stringy
sin•ew•y(ˈsɪn yu i)
1. having strong or conspicuous sinews: a sinewy back.
2. tough; firm: a sinewy rope.
3. containing many sinews; stringy: tough, sinewy meat.
4. vigorous or forceful, as language or style.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||sinewy - (of meat) full of sinews; especially impossible to chew|
tough - resistant to cutting or chewing
|2.||sinewy - consisting of tendons or resembling a tendon|
|3.||sinewy - (of a person) possessing physical strength and weight; rugged and powerful; "a hefty athlete"; "a muscular boxer"; "powerful arms"|
strong - having strength or power greater than average or expected; "a strong radio signal"; "strong medicine"; "a strong man"