camel(redirected from single-humped camel)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Either of two chiefly domesticated ruminant mammals of the genus Camelus, the Bactrian camel or the dromedary, having a humped back and long neck, and used in northern Africa, the Middle East, and Asia as a beast of burden and a source of wool, milk, and meat.
2. A device used to raise sunken objects, consisting of a hollow structure that is submerged, attached tightly to the object, and pumped free of water. Also called caisson.
3. Sports A spin in figure skating that is performed in an arabesque or modified arabesque position.
4. A tan or yellowish brown.
1. (Animals) either of two cud-chewing artiodactyl mammals of the genus Camelus: family Camelidae. They are adapted for surviving long periods without food or water in desert regions, esp by using humps on the back for storing fat. See Arabian camel, Bactrian camel
2. (General Engineering) a float attached to a vessel to increase its buoyancy. See also caisson3
3. (Nautical Terms) a raft or float used as a fender between a vessel and a wharf
a. a fawn colour
b. (as adjective): a camel dress.
[Old English, from Latin camēlus, from Greek kamēlos, of Semitic origin; related to Arabic jamal]
1. either of two large, humped ruminants of the genus Camelus, of the Old World. Compare Bactrian camel, dromedary.
2. a color ranging from yellowish tan to yellowish brown.
3. a spin in skating done in an arabesque position.
4. a float for increasing the buoyancy of a laden vessel.
[before 950; Middle English, Old English < Latin camēlus < Greek kámēlos < Semitic; compare Hebrew gāmāl]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||camel - cud-chewing mammal used as a draft or saddle animal in desert regions|
artiodactyl, artiodactyl mammal, even-toed ungulate - placental mammal having hooves with an even number of functional toes on each foot
Arabian camel, Camelus dromedarius, dromedary - one-humped camel of the hot deserts of northern Africa and southwestern Asia
úlfaldiúlfaldi: drómedari ; kameldÿr
con lạc đàlạc đà
n → Kamel nt
attr (= colour) coat → kamelhaarfarben
a desert animal with one (dromedary (ˈdromədəri) ) or two (bactrian (camel) (ˈbӕktriən) ) humps on its back, used for carrying goods and/or people. kameel جَمَل камила camelo velbloud das Kamel (Dromedar, Trampeltier) kamel καμήλαcamello kaamel شتر kameli chameauגמל ऊंट deva teve onta úlfaldi: drómedari (einn hnúður); kameldÿr (tveir hnúðar) cammello らくだ 낙타 kupranugaris kamielis unta kameeldromedar; kamelwielbłąd اوښ camelo cămilă верблюд ťava kamela kamila kamel อูฐ deve 駱駝 верблюд اونٹ lạc đà 骆驼