Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to skivvy: Skeevy
n, pl -vies
chiefly often derogatory Brit a servant, esp a female, who does menial work of all kinds; drudge
vb, -vies, -vying or -vied
(intr) Brit to work as a skivvy
[C20: of unknown origin]
n, pl -vies
1. (Clothing & Fashion) slang chiefly US a man's T-shirt or vest
2. (Clothing & Fashion) (plural) slang chiefly US men's underwear
3. (Clothing & Fashion) Austral and NZ a garment resembling a sweater with long sleeves and a polo neck, usually made of stretch cotton or cotton and polyester and worn by either sex
[of unknown origin]
n., pl. -vies.
1. Also called skiv′vy shirt`. a knit shirt with a small placket at the neck.
2. skivvies, underwear consisting of this or a T-shirt and shorts.
[1925–30; orig. obscure]
Past participle: skivvied
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||skivvy - a female domestic servant who does all kinds of menial work|
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom