Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A broad, flat, thick piece, as of stone or cheese.
2. An outside piece cut from a log when squaring it for lumber.
3. Baseball The pitcher's rubber.
tr.v. slabbed, slab·bing, slabs
1. To make or shape into slabs or a slab.
2. To cover or pave with slabs.
3. To dress (a log) by cutting slabs.
[Probably of Scandinavian origin; akin to Danish slab, mud.]
1. a broad flat thick piece of wood, stone, or other material
2. a thick slice of cake, etc
3. (Forestry) any of the outside parts of a log that are sawn off while the log is being made into planks
4. (Mountaineering) mountaineering a flat sheet of rock lying at an angle of between 30° and 60° from the horizontal
5. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a printer's ink table
6. (Building) (modifier) Austral and NZ made or constructed of coarse wooden planks: a slab hut.
7. (Surgery) informal chiefly Brit an operating or mortuary table
8. (Brewing) chiefly informal Brit and Austral a package containing 24 cans of beer
vb (tr) , slabs, slabbing or slabbed
9. to cut or make into a slab or slabs
10. to cover or lay with slabs
11. (Forestry) to saw slabs from (a log)
[C13: of unknown origin]
n., v. slabbed, slab•bing. n.
1. a broad, flat, somewhat thick piece of stone, wood, or other solid material.
2. a thick slice of anything: a slab of bread.
3. a rough outside piece cut from a log, as when sawing one into boards.v.t.
4. to make into a slab or slabs.
5. to cover or lay with slabs.
6. to cut the slabs or outside pieces from (a log).
7. to put on in slabs or layers; apply thickly.
[1300–50; Middle English sclabbe, slabbe, of obscure orig.]
Past participle: slabbed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||slab - block consisting of a thick piece of something|
block - a solid piece of something (usually having flat rectangular sides); "the pyramids were built with large stone blocks"
butcher block, butcher board - a thick wooden slab formed by bonding together thick laminated strips of unpainted hardwood
tablet - a slab of stone or wood suitable for bearing an inscription
tile - a flat thin rectangular slab (as of fired clay or rubber or linoleum) used to cover surfaces
plata, hella; òykk sneiî
a thick slice or thick flat piece of anything. concrete slabs; a slab of cake. skyf, reep قِطْعَه سَميكَه парче bloco řez, plátek die Platte, die Scheibe plade; skive πλάκα, φέταlosa paneel, käntsakas تخته laatta bloc, pavéלוח पटिया, पत्थर का चौरस tanka ploča lap lempengan plata, hella; þykk sneið lastra, piastra 厚板 넓적하고 두꺼운 조각 plokštė, gabalas plāksne; plātne keping tebal plakflat blokk, helle, plate, tykk skivepłyta, kawał شاځه، ښازه، تخته (لكه دتيږې)، دړه، ټوټه، كنډك bloco dală; felie большои кусок, брусок tabuľa; krajec, rez plošča ploča platta, häll, tjock skiva, kaka แผ่นวัสดุหนา kalın dilim 平板，厚板 шматок; плита سل، تختئہ سنگ phiến, tấm, miếng 平板，厚板