Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to slacker: Pandora
1. One who shirks work or responsibility.
2. One who tries to evade military service in wartime; a draft dodger.
1. a person who evades work or duty; shirker
a. an educated young adult characterized by cynicism and apathy
b. (as modifier): slacker culture.
1. a person who evades duty or work; shirker.
2. a person who evades military service; dodger.
3. an esp. educated young person who is scornful of materialism, purposeless, apathetic, and usu. works in a dead-end job.
[1790–1800; definition 3 popularized by Slackers (1991), film by R. Linklater]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||slacker - a person who shirks his work or duty (especially one who tries to evade military service in wartime)|
armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nation; "their military is the largest in the region"; "the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker"
goldbrick - a soldier who performs his duties without proper care or effort
scrimshanker - a shirker