Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to slaver: slayer
intr.v. slav·ered, slav·er·ing, slav·ers
1. To slobber; drool.
2. To behave in an obsequious manner. See Synonyms at fawn1.
1. Saliva drooling from the mouth.
2. Senseless and effusive talk; drivel.
[Middle English slaveren, probably from Old Norse slafra.]
One, such as a person or ship, that is engaged in the trafficking of slaves.
1. (Sociology) an owner of or dealer in slaves
2. (Historical Terms) another name for slave ship
1. to dribble saliva
2. (often foll by over)
a. to fawn or drool (over someone)
b. to show great desire (for); lust (after)
3. saliva dribbling from the mouth
4. informal drivel
[C14: probably of Low Dutch origin; related to slobber]
1. a dealer in or an owner of slaves.
2. a ship used in the slave trade.
slav•er2(ˈslæv ər, ˈsleɪ vər, ˈslɑ-)
1. to let saliva run from the mouth; slobber; drool.
2. to fawn.v.t.
3. Archaic. to smear with saliva.n.
4. saliva coming from the mouth.
[1275–1325; probably < Scandinavian; compare Icelandic slafra to slobber]
Past participle: slavered
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||slaver - a person engaged in slave trade|
victimiser, victimizer - a person who victimizes others; "I thought we were partners, not victim and victimizer"
white slaver - a person who forces women to become prostitutes
|2.||slaver - someone who holds slaves |
holder - a person who holds something; "they held two hostages"; "he holds the trophy"; "she holds a United States passport"
|Verb||1.||slaver - let saliva drivel from the mouth; "The baby drooled"|
salivate - produce saliva; "We salivated when he described the great meal"
2. To support slavishly every opinion or suggestion of a superior:
Slang: suck up.
handlarz niewolnikówślinić sięstatek niewolniczy
n (= ship) → Sklavenschiff nt; (= person) → Sklavenhändler(in) m(f)
vi → speicheln (geh), → geifern; the dog slavered at the mouth → der Hund hatte Schaum vor dem Maul; he began to slaver at the thought of food → bei dem Gedanken ans Essen lief ihm das Wasser im Munde zusammen; to slaver over somebody/something → nach jdm/etw geifern