sled(redirected from sleds)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A vehicle having runners and used for carrying people or loads over ice and snow; a sledge.
2. A light vehicle, often with runners, used especially by children for coasting over snow or ice.
3. Informal A snowmobile.
4. A movable, slotted surface that slides over the blade of a table saw, used to ensure accurate cuts.
v. sled·ded, sled·ding, sleds
To carry on or convey by a sled.
To ride or use a sled.
[Middle English sledde, from Middle Dutch.]
n., v. sled•ded, sled•ding. n.
1. a small vehicle consisting of a platform mounted on runners for use in traveling over snow or ice.
2. a sledge.v.i.
3. to coast, ride, or be carried on a sled.v.t.
4. to convey by sled.
- bobber - A person who rides a bobsled or bobsleigh (meaning "short sled").
- pung - Once the name for a one-horse sled or wagon.
- skate, ski, sled - The word skate was originally plural and comes from Dutch schaats, which derived from an Old French word for "stilt," but the connection is unclear. Skate appeared in English in the mid-17th century. Ski, in English by 1755, was borrowed from Norwegian, and ultimately from Old Norse for "snowshoe." Sled came from Flemish and Germanic sledde, between 1325 and 1388, for a "vehicle for transporting heavy goods," and is related to sledge and sleigh.
- toboggan - Comes from Canadian French from Micmac tobakun or Abnaki udabagan, "sled, sleigh."
Past participle: sleded
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sled - a vehicle mounted on runners and pulled by horses or dogs; for transportation over snow|
luge - a racing sled for one or two people
pung - a one-horse sleigh consisting of a box on runners
runner - device consisting of the parts on which something can slide along
toboggan - a long narrow sled without runners; boards curve upward in front
vehicle - a conveyance that transports people or objects
|Verb||1.||sled - ride (on) a sled|
ride - be carried or travel on or in a vehicle; "I ride to work in a bus"; "He rides the subway downtown every day"
xe trượt tuyết