Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A ramp beside a body of water, where ships are built and launched.
2. Chiefly British A boat ramp.
1. (Nautical Terms) the sloping area in a shipyard, containing the ways
2. (Nautical Terms) Also called: marine railway the ways on which a vessel is launched
3. (Fishing) the ramp of a whaling factory ship
4. (Textiles) a pillowcase; pillowslip
(in a shipyard) the area sloping toward the water, on which the ways are located.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||slipway - structure consisting of a sloping way down to the water from the place where ships are built or repaired|
shipyard - a workplace where ships are built or repaired