Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
1. Partially melted snow or ice.
2. Soft mud; slop; mire.
3. Nautical Grease or fat discarded from a ship's galley.
4. A greasy compound used as a lubricant for machinery.
5. Maudlin speech or writing; sentimental drivel.
6. A drink made of flavored syrup poured over crushed ice.
7. Informal Unsolicited manuscripts submitted to a publisher.
v. slushed, slush·ing, slush·es
1. To daub (machinery) with slush.
2. To fill (joints in masonry) with mortar.
3. Nautical To wash down (a deck) by splashing with water.
4. To splash or soak with slush or mud.
1. To walk or proceed through slush.
2. To make a splashing or slushy sound.
[Perhaps of Scandinavian origin; akin to Norwegian slask, sloppy weather.]
in a slushy manner