Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. smashed, smash·ing, smash·es
a. To break (something) into pieces suddenly, noisily, and violently; shatter. See Synonyms at break.
b. To render (something) into a mush or pulp, as by throwing or crushing: smashed the tomatoes against the wall. See Synonyms at crush.
a. To strike with a heavy blow or impact: The boxer smashed his opponent in the ribs. The bulldozer smashed down the barricade.
b. Sports To hit (a ball, puck, or shuttlecock) in a forceful overhand stroke.
c. To cause to come into forceful contact with something: stood up and smashed his head against the cabinet door.
3. To crush or destroy completely: The army smashed the rebellion.
4. To surpass or outdo by a large margin: smashed the record for goals in a season.
1. To move and strike or collide suddenly, noisily, and violently: The car smashed into a tree.
2. To break suddenly into pieces, as from a violent blow or collision: The dish smashed when it hit the floor.
3. Sports To hit a ball, puck, or shuttlecock in a forceful overhand stroke.
4. To go bankrupt.
a. A heavy blow or collision: The smash knocked over the signpost.
b. Sports A forceful overhand stroke, as in tennis or badminton.
2. A violent breaking of something or the noise made by such breaking: There was a loud smash in the kitchen as the dishes fell off the shelf.
a. Total defeat or destruction; ruin.
b. Financial failure; bankruptcy.
a. A drink made of mint, sugar, soda water, and alcoholic liquor, usually brandy.
b. A soft drink made of crushed fruit.
5. Informal A resounding success: The play was a smash on Broadway.
Of, relating to, or being a resounding success: a smash hit on Broadway.
With a sudden violent crash.
[Probably of imitative origin.]
informal chiefly Brit a person or thing that is very attractive or outstanding
1. a person or thing that smashes.
2. a person or thing that is very attractive or extraordinary.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||smasher - a person who smashes something|
|2.||smasher - a very attractive or seductive looking woman|
|3.||smasher - a conspicuous success; "that song was his first hit and marked the beginning of his career"; "that new Broadway show is a real smasher"; "the party went with a bang"|
success - an attainment that is successful; "his success in the marathon was unexpected"; "his new play was a great success"
megahit, smash hit, blockbuster - an unusually successful hit with widespread popularity and huge sales (especially a movie or play or recording or novel)
sleeper - an unexpected hit; "that movie was the sleeper of the summer"