imagery(redirected from smell imagery)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. im·age·ries
1. A set of mental pictures or images.
a. The use of vivid or figurative language to represent objects, actions, or ideas.
b. The use of expressive or evocative images in art, literature, or music.
c. A group or body of related images, as in a painting or poem.
a. Representative images, particularly statues or icons.
b. The art of making such images.
4. Psychology A technique in behavior therapy in which the patient uses pleasant fantasies to relax and counteract anxiety.
n, pl -ries
1. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) figurative or descriptive language in a literary work
2. images collectively
3. (Psychology) psychol
a. the materials or general processes of the imagination
4. (Military) military the presentation of objects reproduced photographically (by infrared or electronic means) as prints or electronic displays
im•age•ry(ˈɪm ɪdʒ ri, -ɪ dʒə ri)
n., pl. -ries.
1. mental images collectively.
2. pictorial images.
3. figurative description or illustration; rhetorical images collectively.
Collectively, the representations of objects reproduced electronically or by optical means on film, electronic display devices, or other media.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||imagery - the ability to form mental images of things or events; "he could still hear her in his imagination"|
representational process - any basic cognitive process in which some entity comes to stand for or represent something else
mind's eye - the imaging of remembered or invented scenes; "I could see her clearly in my mind's eye"
vision - a vivid mental image; "he had a vision of his own death"
dream, dreaming - a series of mental images and emotions occurring during sleep; "I had a dream about you last night"
evocation - imaginative re-creation
imagery[ˈɪmɪdʒəri] n → imagerie f
n → Metaphorik f; visual imagery → Bildersymbolik f