Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A pear-shaped goblet with a narrow top, used especially in serving brandy.
2. Slang A small portion of liquor.
[From Middle English snifteren, to sniff, perhaps of Scandinavian origin.]
1. (Brewing) a pear-shaped glass with a short stem and a bowl that narrows towards the top so that the aroma of brandy or a liqueur is retained
2. (Brewing) informal a small quantity of alcoholic drink
[C19: perhaps from dialect snifter to sniff, perhaps of Scandinavian origin; compare Danish snifta (obsolete) to sniff]
1. a pear-shaped glass, narrowing at the top to intensify the aroma of brandy, liqueur, etc.
2. Informal. a very small drink of liquor.
[1840–50; derivative of snifter to sniff, snivel, Middle English snyfteren]