Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to snout: snout reflex
a. The projecting nose, jaws, or anterior facial part of an animal's head.
b. A similar prolongation of the anterior portion of the head in certain insects, such as weevils; a rostrum.
c. A spout or nozzle shaped like such a projection.
2. Slang The human nose.
[Middle English, probably of Old English origin.]
1. (Zoology) the part of the head of a vertebrate, esp a mammal, consisting of the nose, jaws, and surrounding region, esp when elongated
2. (Zoology) the corresponding part of the head of such insects as weevils
3. anything projecting like a snout, such as a nozzle or the lower end of a glacier
4. (Anatomy) slang a person's nose
5. (Animals) Also called: snout moth a brownish noctuid moth, Hypena proboscidalis, that frequents nettles: named from the palps that project prominently from the head at rest
6. (Brewing) slang Brit a cigarette or tobacco
7. slang an informer
[C13: of Germanic origin; compare Old Norse snyta, Middle Low German, Middle Dutch snūte]
1. the part of an animal's head projecting forward and containing the nose and jaws; muzzle.
2. anything that resembles or suggests an animal's snout in shape, function, etc.
3. a nozzle or spout.
4. a person's nose, esp. when large or prominent.
[1175–1225; Middle English snowte, earlier snute, akin to Middle Low German, Middle Dutch snūte]
The projecting nose, jaws, or front part of the head of an animal.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||snout - a long projecting or anterior elongation of an animal's head; especially the nose|
muzzle - forward projecting part of the head of certain animals; includes the jaws and nose
|2.||snout - informal terms for the nose |
nose, olfactory organ - the organ of smell and entrance to the respiratory tract; the prominent part of the face of man or other mammals; "he has a cold in the nose"
|3.||snout - beaklike projection of the anterior part of the head of certain insects such as e.g. weevils|
trÿni, snoppa, snjáldur
snout[ˈsnaʊt] n → museau m
the projecting mouth and nose part of certain animals, especially of a pig. snuit فِنْطيسَة الخِنْزير зурла focinho rypák die Schnauze tryne ρύγχος, μουσούδαmorro, hocico kärss پوزه kärsä museau, groinחוטם थूथन, थुथनी rilo, gubica orr, ormány moncong trÿni, snoppa, snjáldur muso, grugno (豚の)鼻 (돼지 등의 튀어나온) 주둥이와 코 snukis snuķis jongor snuitsnutepysk, ryj "وربوز، شونډك: (اصط) پوزه focinho rât, bot рыло, морда rypák rilec njuška nos, tryne จมูกและปากของสัตว์ burun 豬(等的)嘴鼻 рило; морда تھوتھنی mũi, mõm 猪（等的）嘴鼻