dummy(redirected from sold a dummy)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. dum·mies
1. An imitation of a real or original object, intended to be used as a practical substitute.
a. A mannequin used in displaying clothes.
b. A figure of a person or an animal manipulated by a ventriloquist.
c. A stuffed or pasteboard figure used as a target.
d. Football A heavy stuffed cylindrical bag used for blocking and tackling practice.
3. A stupid person; a dolt.
4. A silent or taciturn person.
a. Law A person or entity that is the named party to a transaction but that acts on behalf of another concealed person or entity. Also called nominee, straw person.
b. A person or an agency secretly in the service of another.
a. One of a set of model pages with text and illustrations pasted into place to direct the printer. Also called dummy page.
b. A set of bound blank pages used as a model to show the size and general appearance of a book being published.
a. The partner in bridge who exposes his or her hand to be played by the declarer.
b. The hand thus exposed.
8. Computers A character or other piece of information entered into a computer only to meet prescribed conditions, such as word length, and having no effect on operations.
1. Simulating or replacing something but lacking its function: a dummy pocket; a dummy medication in a study.
2. Serving as a front or cover for another: a dummy corporation.
3. Games Played with a dummy.
4. Computers Entered or provided only to meet prescribed conditions: a dummy variable.
tr.v. dum·mied, dum·my·ing, dum·mies PrintingPhrasal Verb:
To make a model of (a publication or page).
dummy up Slang
To keep silent; give no information.
n, pl -mies
1. a figure representing the human form, used for displaying clothes, in a ventriloquist's act, as a target, etc
a. a copy or imitation of an object, often lacking some essential feature of the original
b. (as modifier): a dummy drawer.
3. slang a stupid person; fool
4. derogatory slang a person without the power of speech; mute
5. informal a person who says or does nothing
a. a person who appears to act for himself or herself while acting on behalf of another
b. (as modifier): a dummy buyer.
7. (Military) military a weighted round without explosives, used in drill and training
8. (Bridge) bridge
a. the hand exposed on the table by the declarer's partner and played by the declarer
b. the declarer's partner
9. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding)
a. a prototype of a proposed book, indicating the general appearance and dimensions of the finished product
b. a designer's layout of a page indicating the positions for illustrations, etc
10. (Soccer) a feigned pass or move in a sport such as football or rugby
11. (Rugby) a feigned pass or move in a sport such as football or rugby
12. Brit a rubber teat for babies to suck or bite on. US and Canadian equivalent: pacifier
13. (modifier) counterfeit; sham
14. (Card Games) (modifier) (of a card game) played with one hand exposed or unplayed
vb, -mies, -mying or -mied
15. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) to prepare a dummy of (a proposed book, page, etc)
16. (Soccer) sport Also: sell someone a dummy to use a dummy pass in order to trick (an opponent)
17. (Rugby) sport Also: sell someone a dummy to use a dummy pass in order to trick (an opponent)
[C16: see dumb, -y3]
n., pl. -mies, n.
1. an imitation, representation, or copy of something, as for use in a display: lipstick dummies made of colored plastic.
2. a representation of a human figure, as for displaying clothes in store windows.
3. Informal. a stupid person; dolt.
4. a person who has nothing to say or who takes no active part in affairs.
5. one put forward to act for others while ostensibly acting for oneself.
6. Older Slang.
a. Offensive. a person who lacks the power of speech.
b. a person who is characteristically and habitually silent.
7. (in bridge)
a. the declarer's partner, whose hand is exposed and played by the declarer.
b. the hand of cards so exposed.
8. sheets folded and made up to show the size, shape, sequence, and style of a contemplated piece of printing.
9. a nonexplosive bomb used for practice exercises.adj.
10. noting or pertaining to an imitation, representation, or copy.
11. counterfeit; sham; fictitious.
12. put forward to act for others while ostensibly acting for oneself.v.t.
13. to prepare a printing dummy of (often fol. by up).
14. to represent in a dummy (often fol. by in): to dummy in an illustration.
usage: See dumb.
Past participle: dummied
2. The pretense of passing the ball while still holding on to it.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dummy - a person who does not talk|
|2.||dummy - an ignorant or foolish person|
|3.||dummy - a figure representing the human form|
figure - a model of a bodily form (especially of a person); "he made a figure of Santa Claus"
lay figure - dummy in the form of an artist's jointed model of the human body
ventriloquist's dummy - a wooden dummy into which a ventriloquist projects the voice
|4.||dummy - a cartridge containing an explosive charge but no bullet|
cartridge - ammunition consisting of a cylindrical casing containing an explosive charge and a bullet; fired from a rifle or handgun
|Verb||1.||dummy - make a dummy of; "dummy up the books that are to be published"|
|Adj.||1.||dummy - having the appearance of being real but lacking capacity to function; "a dummy corporation"|
3. (Slang) fool, jerk (slang, chiefly U.S. & Canad.), idiot, plank (Brit. slang), charlie (Brit. informal), berk (Brit. slang), prick (derogatory slang), wally (slang), prat (slang), plonker (slang), coot, geek (slang), dunce, oaf, simpleton, dullard, dimwit (informal), dipstick (Brit. slang), dickhead (slang), gonzo (slang), schmuck (U.S. slang), dork (slang), nitwit (informal), dolt, blockhead, divvy (Brit. slang), pillock (Brit. slang), dweeb (U.S. slang), putz (U.S. slang), fathead (informal), weenie (U.S. informal), eejit (Scot. & Irish), thicko (Brit. slang), dumb-ass (slang), gobshite (Irish taboo slang), numpty (Scot. informal), doofus (slang, chiefly U.S.), lamebrain (informal), fuckwit (taboo slang), dickwit (slang), nerd or nurd (slang), numbskull or numskull He's no dummy, this guy.
أَبْكَمتِمْثال لِعَرْض المَلابِسدُمْيَهمَصّاصَه
người nộm ma nơ canh
1. (for clothes) → maniquí m
2. (for baby) → chupete m
4. (Ftbl) → finta f
5. (Bridge) → muerto m
6. (= idiot) → tonto/a m/f
(= sham object) → Attrappe f; (Comm) → Schaupackung f, → Attrappe f; (for clothes) → (Schaufenster- or Kleider)puppe f; (of book) → Blindband m ? ventriloquist’s dummy, tailor’s dummy
(Brit: = baby’s teat) → Schnuller m
dummy(ˈdami) – plural ˈdummies – noun
1. an artificial substitute looking like the real thing. The packets of cigarettes on display were dummies. model دُمْيَه ( بَديل) макет imitação atrapa die Attrappe attrap; dummy ομοίωμαimitación imitatsioon بدلی؛ مصنوعی toimimaton näytekappale chose fausse, facticeדמה नकली वस्तु lažnjak utánzat tiruan eftirlíking falso, finto 模造品 모형 butaforija butaforija tiruan dummyetterlikning, figur, modell atrapa ساختګۍ، مصنوعى imitação produs contrafăcut; imitaţie макет atrapa ponaredek imitacija attrapp, dummy ของที่ทำเลียนแบบของจริง taklit, yapma 實物仿製品 лялька; макет کسی اصلی چیز کا مصنوعی متبادل đồ giả 模仿物，假货
2. a model of a human used for displaying clothes etc. a dressmaker's dummy. pop تِمْثال لِعَرْض المَلابِس манекен manequim figurína die (Schaufenster)Puppe mannequindukke κούκλα για ενδύματα maniquí mannekeen مانکن nukke mannequin בּוּבַּת חָלוֹן רַאֲווָה पुतला lutka u izlogu trgovine próbababa boneka gína manichino マネキン人形 마네킹 manekenas manekens boneka modelmannekengmanekin, kukła موډل manequim manechin манекен manekýn lutka lutka skyltdocka หุ่นจำลอง manken (櫥窗中陳列的)假人 манекен انسانی مورت جسے کپڑوں کا مظاہرہ کرنے کے لۓ استعمال میں لایا جاتا ہے ma nơ canh （橱窗中陈列的）假人
3. an artificial teat put in a baby's mouth to comfort it. fopspeen مَصّاصَه биберон chupeta dudlík der Schnuller sut πιπίλαchupete lutt پستانک tutti tétineמוצץ स्तन के अग्रभाग जैसा कोई चीज जिसे शांत करने के लिए बच्चे को दे देते हैं, चूसनी duda cucli, cumi dot snuð tettarella おしゃぶり 고무 젖꼭지 čiulptukas knupītis puting getah fopspeennarresmokksmoczek د ماشوم لپاره چوشك chupeta biberon соска-пустышка cumlík duda varalica napp หัวนมหลอก emzik, yalancı meme 嬰兒奶嘴 соска بچوں کو بہلانے کے لۓ ربڑ کی چسنی núm vú giả 婴儿用的橡皮奶头