solitaire(redirected from solitaires)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A gem, such as a diamond, that is set alone.
2. Games Any of a number of card games played by one person, especially Klondike.
3. Any of several thrushes found in the Americas and noted for having a beautiful song.
4. A large flightless bird (Pezophaps solitaria) of the Mascarene Islands that was closely related to the dodo and became extinct by the end of the 1700s.
5. A large flightless bird (Threskiornis solitarius) of Réunion Island, once thought to be related to the dodo but now regarded as a type of ibis. It became extinct in the early 1700s.
[French, solitary, from Old French; see solitary.]
1. (Games, other than specified) Also called: pegboard a game played by one person, esp one involving moving and taking pegs in a pegboard or marbles on an indented circular board with the object of being left with only one
2. (Card Games) the US name for patience3
3. (Jewellery) a gem, esp a diamond, set alone in a ring
4. (Animals) any of several extinct birds of the genus Pezophaps, related to the dodo
5. (Animals) any of several dull grey North American songbirds of the genus Myadestes: subfamily Turdinae (thrushes)
[C18: from Old French: solitary]
1. any of various card games for one person in which the cards are arranged in predetermined patterns.
2. a precious stone, esp. a diamond, set by itself, as in a ring.
3. any of several New World thrushes of the genus Myadestes, noted for their beautiful songs.
4. either of two extinct flightless birds akin to the dodo, Pezophaps solitaria and Raphus solitarius, that inhabited the Mascarene Islands.
[1350–1400; Middle English < French < Latin sōlitārius solitary]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||solitaire - a gem (usually a diamond) in a setting by itself|
|2.||solitaire - extinct flightless bird related to the dodo|
columbiform bird - a cosmopolitan order of land birds having small heads and short legs with four unwebbed toes
|3.||solitaire - a dull grey North American thrush noted for its beautiful song|
thrush - songbirds characteristically having brownish upper plumage with a spotted breast
|4.||solitaire - a card game played by one person|
canfield - a form of solitaire that involves gambling
klondike - a form of solitaire that begins with seven piles of cards with the top cards facing up; descending sequences of cards of alternating colors are built on these piles; as aces become available they are placed above the seven piles; the object is to build sequences in suit from ace to king as the remaining cards are dealt out one at a time