Sotho(redirected from sotholy)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Sotho or So·thos
a. A group of closely related Bantu languages, including Tswana, spoken in southern Africa.
b. Any of these languages.
2. A member of a Sotho-speaking people.
npl -tho or -thospl -tho or -thosFormer name (for senses 3, 4): Basuto
1. (Peoples) a member of a large grouping of Negroid peoples of southern Africa, living chiefly in Botswana, South Africa, and Lesotho
2. (Languages) the group of mutually intelligible languages of this people, including Lesotho, Tswana, and Pedi. It belongs to the Bantu group of the Niger-Congo family
3. (Peoples) South African a member of the Basotho people; a Mosotho
4. (Languages) South African the dialect of Sotho spoken by the Basotho; Sesotho. It is an official language of Lesotho along with English
So•tho(ˈsu tu, ˈsoʊ toʊ)
n., pl. -thos, (esp. collectively) -tho for 1.
1. a member of any of a group of African peoples of Lesotho, Botswana, and the Republic of South Africa.
2. the closely related Bantu languages of these peoples.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sotho - a member of the Bantu people who inhabit Botswana, Lesotho, and northern South Africa and who speak the Sotho languages|
Botswana, Republic of Botswana - a landlocked republic in south-central Africa that became independent from British control in the 1960s
Basutoland, Kingdom of Lesotho, Lesotho - a landlocked constitutional monarchy in southern Africa; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1966
Republic of South Africa, South Africa - a republic at the southernmost part of Africa; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1910; first European settlers were Dutch (known as Boers)
Bantu - a member of any of a large number of linguistically related peoples of Central and South Africa
|2.||Sotho - any of the mutually intelligible southern Bantu languages of the Sotho in Botswana and South Africa and Lesotho|
Bantoid language, Bantu - a family of languages widely spoken in the southern half of the African continent
|Adj.||1.||Sotho - of or relating to any of the group of Sotho languages; "Sotho noun classifiers"|