Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A saucy, coquettish, intriguing maidservant in comedies or comic opera.
b. An actress or a singer taking such a part.
2. A young woman regarded as flirtatious or frivolous.
1. (Theatre) a minor female role in comedy, often that of a pert lady's maid
2. any pert or flirtatious girl
[C18: from French: maidservant, from Provençal soubreto, from soubret conceited, from soubra to exceed, from Latin superāre to surmount, from super above]
1. a maidservant or lady's maid in a play, opera, or the like, esp. one displaying coquetry, pertness, and a tendency to engage in intrigue.
2. an actress playing such a role.
3. any lively or pert young woman.
[1745–55; < French: lady's maid < Occitan soubreto, feminine of soubret affected, ultimately < Latin superāre to be above]
n (dated) → Soubrette f (dated)