sought(redirected from soughtly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Past tense and past participle of seek.
the past tense and past participle of seek
v. sought, seek•ing. v.t.
1. to go in search or quest of.
2. to try to discover, as by studying.
3. to try to obtain: to seek fame.
4. to try or attempt (usu. fol. by an infinitive): to seek to convince a person.
5. to ask for; request: to seek advice.
6. Archaic. to search or explore.v.i.
7. to make inquiry.
[before 900; Middle English seken, Old English sēcan, c. Old Frisian sēka, Old Saxon sōkian, Old High German suohhen (German suchen), Old Norse sŒkja, Gothic sōkjan]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||sought - that is looked for; "the long sought relatives"|
|2.||sought - being searched for; "the most sought-after item was the silver candelabrum"|
wanted - desired or wished for or sought; "couldn't keep her eyes off the wanted toy"; "a wanted criminal"; "a wanted poster"