Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to soup up: vegetable soup
1. A liquid food prepared from meat, fish, or vegetable stock combined with various other ingredients and often containing solid pieces.
2. Slang Something having the appearance or a consistency suggestive of soup, especially:
a. Dense fog.
3. Primordial soup.
4. A chaotic or unfortunate situation.
soup up SlangIdiom:
To modify (something) so as to increase its capacity to perform or satisfy, especially to add horsepower or greater speed potential to (an engine or a vehicle).
in the soup Slang
Having difficulties; in trouble.
vb (tr, adverb)
1. (Automotive Engineering) to modify (a vehicle or vehicle engine) in order to increase its power
2. Also: hot up or hop up (esp US and Canadian)to make (something) more exciting or interesting
3. (Automotive Engineering) (of a vehicle or vehicle engine) modified so as to be more powerful: a souped-up scooter.
4. more exciting or interesting: a souped-up version of their last single.