Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
See crystal lattice.
(Chemistry) crystallog the more formal name for lattice4
n., v. -ticed, -tic•ing. n.
1. a structure of crossed wooden or metal strips usu. arranged to form a diagonal pattern of open spaces between the strips.
2. a window, gate, or the like consisting of such a structure.
3. an arrangement in space of isolated points in a regular pattern, showing the positions of atoms, molecules, or ions in the structure of a crystal.
4. a partially ordered set in which every subset containing exactly two elements has a greatest lower bound or intersection and a least upper bound or union.v.t.
5. to furnish with a lattice or latticework.
6. to form into a lattice.
[1350–1400; Middle English latis < Middle French lattis, derivative of latte lath < Germanic; see lath]