spall

(redirected from spalls)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.

spall

 (spôl)
n.
A chip, fragment, or flake from a piece of stone or ore.
v. spalled, spall·ing, spalls
v.tr.
To break up into chips or fragments.
v.intr.
To chip or crumble.

[Middle English spalle.]

spall

(spɔːl)
n
(Geological Science) a splinter or chip of ore, rock, or stone
vb
(Geological Science) to split or cause to split into such fragments
[C15: of unknown origin]

spall

(spɔl)

n.
1. a chip or splinter, as of stone or ore.
v.t.
2. to break into smaller pieces, as ore; split or chip.
v.i.
3. to break or split off in chips or bits.
[1750–60; orig. uncertain; compare late Middle English spalle a chip]
spall•a′tion, n.
spall′er, n.

spall


Past participle: spalled
Gerund: spalling

Imperative
spall
spall
Present
I spall
you spall
he/she/it spalls
we spall
you spall
they spall
Preterite
I spalled
you spalled
he/she/it spalled
we spalled
you spalled
they spalled
Present Continuous
I am spalling
you are spalling
he/she/it is spalling
we are spalling
you are spalling
they are spalling
Present Perfect
I have spalled
you have spalled
he/she/it has spalled
we have spalled
you have spalled
they have spalled
Past Continuous
I was spalling
you were spalling
he/she/it was spalling
we were spalling
you were spalling
they were spalling
Past Perfect
I had spalled
you had spalled
he/she/it had spalled
we had spalled
you had spalled
they had spalled
Future
I will spall
you will spall
he/she/it will spall
we will spall
you will spall
they will spall
Future Perfect
I will have spalled
you will have spalled
he/she/it will have spalled
we will have spalled
you will have spalled
they will have spalled
Future Continuous
I will be spalling
you will be spalling
he/she/it will be spalling
we will be spalling
you will be spalling
they will be spalling
Present Perfect Continuous
I have been spalling
you have been spalling
he/she/it has been spalling
we have been spalling
you have been spalling
they have been spalling
Future Perfect Continuous
I will have been spalling
you will have been spalling
he/she/it will have been spalling
we will have been spalling
you will have been spalling
they will have been spalling
Past Perfect Continuous
I had been spalling
you had been spalling
he/she/it had been spalling
we had been spalling
you had been spalling
they had been spalling
Conditional
I would spall
you would spall
he/she/it would spall
we would spall
you would spall
they would spall
Past Conditional
I would have spalled
you would have spalled
he/she/it would have spalled
we would have spalled
you would have spalled
they would have spalled

spall

A chip broken from a stone carving.
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.spall - a fragment broken off from the edge or face of stone or ore and having at least one thin edgespall - a fragment broken off from the edge or face of stone or ore and having at least one thin edge; "a truck bearing a mound of blue spalls"
fragment - a piece broken off or cut off of something else; "a fragment of rock"
References in periodicals archive ?
The superstructure is in poor condition with cracks and significant spalls throughout.
The Spalls are leisurely sailors - it took them four years to sail from London to Cornwall - and Timothy's never had a sailing lesson in his life, so following the pair as they make their way around the coast is sure to make interesting, and very amusing viewing.
A typical day in the dirt shop would be repairing spalls (holes in the pavement resulting from an attack) on the runway, sweeping the airfield and taking care of any emergency repair that might occur," said Tech.
Conservative MP Ms Widdecombe stayed with the Spalls to report for ITV's Tonight programme, in which the family told how a masked man had broken into their garden in London and screamed death threats.
Corrosion-related cracks, delaminations, and spalls are most common.
The study revealed approximately 11,000 spalls on the seven buildings - approximately 70 percent were at patch failure; the other 30 percent were new spalls.