Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various small birds of the family Emberizidae, having brownish or grayish plumage and found throughout the Americas, such as the song sparrow.
2. Any of various birds of the family Passeridae, especially the house sparrow.
3. Any of various similar birds of other families, such as the Java sparrow.
[Middle English sparowe, from Old English spearwa.]
1. (Animals) any weaverbird of the genus Passer and related genera, esp the house sparrow, having a brown or grey plumage and feeding on seeds or insects
2. (Animals) US and Canadian any of various North American finches, such as the chipping sparrow (Spizella passerina), that have a dullish streaked plumage
[Old English spearwa; related to Old Norse spörr, Old High German sparo]
1. any of numerous small New World songbirds of the subfamily Emberizinae (family Emberizidae), typically dull gray-brown with plain or streaked breasts of a lighter color, as the chipping sparrow and song sparrow.
2. any of various similar songbirds of the Old World family Passeridae, as the house sparrow.
[before 900; Middle English sparowe, Old English spearwa, c. Middle High German sparwe, Old Norse spǫrr, Gothic sparwa]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sparrow - any of several small dull-colored singing birds feeding on seeds or insects|
passeriform bird, passerine - perching birds mostly small and living near the ground with feet having 4 toes arranged to allow for gripping the perch; most are songbirds; hatchlings are helpless
English sparrow, house sparrow, Passer domesticus - small hardy brown-and-grey bird native to Europe
|2.||sparrow - small brownish European songbird |
accentor - small sparrow-like songbird of mountainous regions of Eurasia
sparrow[ˈspærəʊ] N → gorrión m
sparrow[ˈspærəʊ] n → moineau m
sparrow[ˈspærəʊ] n → passero
a common type of small brown bird related to the finch family. spreeu سنونو врабче pardal vrabec der Spatz gråspurv σπουργίτιgorrión varblane گنجشك varpunen moineauדרור गौरा, गौरेया, चिड़ा, चिड़ी vrabac veréb burung gereja spör passero 雀 참새 žvirblis zvirbulis burung pipit musspurvwróbel ګنجشک pardal vrabie воробей vrabec vrabec vrabac sparv นกกระจอก serçe 麻雀 горобець گوریّا chim sẻ 麻雀