Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. The process of making fibrous material into yarn or thread.
2. The act of fishing with a light rod and a reel having a bail or similar device that guides the line around a stationary spool and that can be disengaged to let the line run freely, as when casting. Also called spin casting, spin fishing.
a. the act or process of spinning
b. (as modifier): spinning yarn.
2. (Angling) the act or technique of casting and drawing a revolving lure through the water so as to imitate the movement of a live fish, etc
(Team Sports, other than specified) trademark a form of high-intensity exercise using exercise bikes
a. the act or process of twisting fibers, as cotton or rayon, into yarn or thread.
b. the extrusion of a fiber-forming solution through a spinneret to form filaments.
2. the act or process of secreting and placing silk or silklike filaments, as in the construction of a web by a spider or the formation of a cocoon by a caterpillar.
3. Also called spin casting, spin fishing. the act or technique of fishing with a spinning reel and rod.
- heckle - First a "flax comb" for splitting and straightening the fibers for spinning; its metaphorical sense developed from its verb form, "to mangle by cutting, to cut roughly."
- distaff side, spear side - The female side of a family is the distaff side—the distaff being a stick used for holding yarn when spinning; the male side is the spear side.
- fouette - A spectacular pirouette in which the ballerina whips her raised leg around in an eggbeater motion while spinning on the other leg.
- turngiddy - Means dizzy from spinning around.