Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A large, highly vascular lymphoid organ, located in the human body to the left of the stomach below the diaphragm, that serves as a reservoir for blood, destroys old red blood cells, and contains lymphocytes that combat blood-borne antigens.
b. A homologous organ or tissue in other vertebrates.
2. Obsolete This organ conceived as the seat of emotions or passions.
3. Ill temper: vent one's spleen.
4. Archaic Melancholy.
5. Obsolete A whim; a caprice.
[Middle English splen, from Old French esplen, from Latin splēn, from Greek.]
1. (Anatomy) a spongy, highly vascular organ situated near the stomach in man. It forms lymphocytes, produces antibodies, aids in destroying worn-out red blood cells, and filters bacteria and foreign particles from the blood.
2. (Zoology) the corresponding organ in other animals
3. spitefulness or ill humour; peevishness: to vent one's spleen.
4. archaic the organ in the human body considered to be the seat of the emotions
5. (Psychology) archaic another word for melancholy
6. obsolete whim; mood
[C13: from Old French esplen, from Latin splēn, from Greek; related to Latin lien spleen]
ˈspleenish, ˈspleeny adj
1. a highly vascular, glandular, ductless organ, situated in humans at the cardiac end of the stomach, serving chiefly in the formation of mature lymphocytes, in the destruction of worn-out red blood cells, and as a reservoir for blood.
2. (formerly) this organ conceived of as the seat of spirit and courage or of such emotions as mirth, ill humor, melancholy, etc.
3. ill humor, peevish temper, or spite.
4. Archaic. melancholy.
5. Obs. caprice.
[1250–1300; Middle English (< Old French esplen) < Latin splēn < Greek splḗn; akin to Latin liēn spleen]
An organ in vertebrate animals that in humans is located on the left side near the stomach. Mainly composed of lymph nodes and blood vessels, the spleen filters the blood, stores red blood cells, destroys old red blood cells, and produces white blood cells called lymphocytes.
A large organ behind the stomach. It filters and stores blood.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||spleen - a large dark-red oval organ on the left side of the body between the stomach and the diaphragm; produces cells involved in immune responses|
arteria lienalis, lienal artery, splenic artery - an artery that originates from the celiac trunk and supplies blood to the spleen
splenic vein, vena lienalis - a vein formed by several small veins on the surface of the spleen; joins the superior mesenteric to form the portal vein
|2.||spleen - a feeling of resentful anger|
noun spite, anger, bitterness, hostility, hatred, resentment, wrath, gall, malice, animosity, venom, bile, bad temper, acrimony, pique, rancour, ill will, animus, malevolence, vindictiveness, malignity, spitefulness, ill humour, peevishness There were other targets for his spleen.
an organ of the body, close to the stomach, which causes changes in the blood. milt طِحال далак baço slezina die Milz milt σπλήναbazo põrn طحال perna rateטחול तिल्ली slezena lép limpa milta milza 脾臓 비장(脾臟) blužnis liesa limpa miltmiltśledziona تورې (طحال): كينه، رخه، بدغونې baço splină селезёнка slezina vranica slezina mjälte ม้าม dalak 脾臟 селезінка تلّی، طحال lá lách, tì 脾脏
n. bazo, órgano vascular linfático, situado en la cavidad abdominal;
accesory ___ → ___ accesorio.