Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One of the rods or braces connecting the hub and rim of a wheel.
2. Nautical One of the handles projecting from the rim of a ship's steering wheel.
3. A rod or stick that may be inserted into a wheel to prevent it from turning.
4. A rung of a ladder.
tr.v. spoked, spok·ing, spokes
1. To equip with spokes.
2. To impede (a wheel) by inserting a rod.
[Middle English, from Old English spāca.]
1. Past tense of speak.
2. Archaic A past participle of speak.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a radial member of a wheel, joining the hub to the rim
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a radial projection from the rim of a wheel, as in a ship's wheel
3. (Building) a rung of a ladder
4. put a spoke in someone's wheel Brit to thwart someone's plans
(Mechanical Engineering) (tr) to equip with or as if with spokes
[Old English spāca]
1. a pt. of speak.
2. Archaic. a pp. of speak.
n., v. spoked, spok•ing. n.
1. one of the bars, rods, or rungs radiating from the hub or nave of a wheel and supporting the rim or felloe.
2. a handlelike projection from the rim of a wheel, as a ship's steering wheel.
3. a rung of a ladder.v.t.
4. to fit or furnish with or as if with spokes.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English spāca, c. Old Frisian spēke, spāke, Old Saxon spēca, Old High German speihha]
The portion of the hub and spoke distribution system that refers to transportation mode operators responsible for scheduled delivery to a customer of the "hub." See also distribution; distribution system; hub; hub and spoke distribution.
Past participle: spoked
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||spoke - support consisting of a radial member of a wheel joining the hub to the rim|
bicycle wheel - the wheel of a bicycle
cartwheel - a wheel that has wooden spokes and a metal rim
support - any device that bears the weight of another thing; "there was no place to attach supports for a shelf"
wagon wheel - a wheel of a wagon
|2.||spoke - one of the crosspieces that form the steps of a ladder|
crosspiece - a transverse brace
ladder - steps consisting of two parallel members connected by rungs; for climbing up or down
شُعاع الدّولابشُعَاعُ العَجَلَة
jant telitekerlek parmaklığı
cái nan hoa
one of the ribs or bars from the centre to the rim of the wheel of a bicycle, cart etc. speek شُعاع الدّولاب спица raio paprsek die Speiche ege ακτίνα τροχούradio, rayo kodar پره ي چرخ pinna rayon חִישוּר डंडा, अर, आरा, रोक žbica, palac (kotača) küllő jari-jari pílári, hjólrif raggio スポーク (바퀴의) 살 stipinas (riteņa) spieķis jari-jari spaakeikeszprycha raio rază спица špica špica paok eker ซี่ล้อรถ tekerlek parmaklığı 輪輻，輻條 спиця پہیے کا کوئي ارّا جو ناہ سے گھیر تک جڑے ہوتے ہیں cái nan hoa 轮辐，辐条