Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
One that spreads, as:
a. A butter knife.
b. A farm or garden implement for scattering fertilizer or seed.
c. A device, such as a bar, for keeping wires or stays apart.
d. Nautical A horizontal support used to spread shrouds on a mast.
1. (Agriculture) a machine or device used for scattering bulk materials, esp manure or fertilizer, over a relatively wide area
2. a device for keeping apart or spacing parallel objects, such as electric wires
1. one that spreads.
2. a small knife or spatula for spreading butter or the like.
3. a machine for dispersing bulk material.
4. a device for keeping apart two objects, as electric wires.
5. a strut for spreading shrouds on a mast.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||spreader - a hand tool for spreading something; "he used his knife as a spreader"|
hand tool - a tool used with workers' hands
|2.||spreader - a mechanical device for scattering something (seed or fertilizer or sand etc.) in all directions|
mechanical device - mechanism consisting of a device that works on mechanical principles