Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Informal A potato.
2. A sharp spadelike tool used for rooting or digging out weeds.
3. A short section of pipe or a threaded fitting that completes a connection, as between a longer pipe and a nozzle, valve, or meter.
tr.v. spud·ded, spud·ding, spuds
1. To remove with a sharp spadelike tool.
2. To begin drilling operations on: spud an oil well.
[Middle English spudde, short knife.]
1. (Plants) an informal word for potato1
2. (Tools) a narrow-bladed spade for cutting roots, digging up weeds, etc
3. (Tools) Also called: spudder a tool, resembling a chisel, for removing bark from trees
vb, spuds, spudding or spudded
4. (Agriculture) (tr) to remove (bark) or eradicate (weeds) with a spud
5. (Mining & Quarrying) (intr) to drill the first foot of an oil well
[C15 spudde short knife, of unknown origin; applied later to a digging tool, and hence to a potato]
n., v. spud•ded, spud•ding. n.
1. Informal. a potato.
2. a spadelike instrument, esp. one with a narrow blade, as for digging up or cutting the roots of weeds.
3. a stake for supporting dredging or earth-boring machinery.
4. a short pipe, as for connecting a water pipe with a meter.v.t.
5. to remove with a spud.
[1425–75; late Middle English spudde short knife, of obscure orig.]
Past participle: spudded
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||spud - an edible tuber native to South America; a staple food of Ireland|
starches - foodstuff rich in natural starch (especially potatoes, rice, bread)
solanaceous vegetable - any of several fruits of plants of the family Solanaceae; especially of the genera Solanum, Capsicum, and Lycopersicon
root vegetable - any of various fleshy edible underground roots or tubers
baked potato - potato that has been cooked by baking it in an oven
jacket - the outer skin of a potato
mashed potato - potato that has been peeled and boiled and then mashed
Uruguay potato - similar to the common potato
|2.||spud - a sharp hand shovel for digging out roots and weeds|
hand shovel - a shovel that is operated by hand
|Verb||1.||spud - initiate drilling operations, as for petroleum; "The well was spudded in April"|
|2.||spud - produce buds, branches, or germinate; "the potatoes sprouted"|
grow - increase in size by natural process; "Corn doesn't grow here"; "In these forests, mushrooms grow under the trees"; "her hair doesn't grow much anymore"
germinate - cause to grow or sprout; "the plentiful rain germinated my plants"