squirrel(redirected from squirrelled)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of various arboreal rodents of the tribe Sciurini and especially of the genus Sciurus, characteristically having a long flexible bushy tail. Also called tree squirrel.
2. Any of various other rodents of the family Sciuridae, such as the ground squirrels and the flying squirrels.
3. The fur of one of these rodents.
tr.v. squir·reled, squir·rel·ing, squir·rels or squir·relled or squir·rel·ling
To hide or store: squirreled away her money.
squirrel(ˈskwɪrəl; US ˈskwɜːrəl; ˈskwʌr-)
n, pl -rels or -rel
1. (Animals) any arboreal sciurine rodent of the genus Sciurus, such as S. vulgaris (red squirrel) or S. carolinensis (grey squirrel), having a bushy tail and feeding on nuts, seeds, etc.
2. (Animals) any other rodent of the family Sciuridae, such as a ground squirrel or a marmot
3. (Textiles) the fur of such an animal
4. informal a person who hoards things
vb, -rels, -relling or -relled, -rels, -reling or -reled
informal (usually foll by: away) to store for future use; hoard
[C14: from Old French esquireul, from Late Latin sciūrus, from Greek skiouros, from skia shadow + oura tail]
squir•rel(ˈskwɜr əl, ˈskwʌr-; esp. Brit. ˈskwɪr əl)
n., pl. -rels, (esp. collectively) -rel, n.
1. any arboreal, bushy-tailed rodent of the family Sciuridae, esp. of the genus Sciurus.
2. any other member of the family Sciuridae, including ground squirrels, prairie dogs, and woodchucks.
3. the meat of such an animal.
4. the fur of such an animal.v.t.
5. to store or hide (money, valuables, etc.) for the future, as squirrels store nuts and seeds for winter (often fol. by away).
[1325–75; Middle English squirel < Anglo-French escuirel (Old French escuireul) « Vulgar Latin *scūriolus, diminutive of *scūrius, for Latin sciūrus < Greek skíouros probably literally shadow-tailed]
Past participle: squirrelled
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||squirrel - a kind of arboreal rodent having a long bushy tail|
gnawer, rodent - relatively small placental mammals having a single pair of constantly growing incisor teeth specialized for gnawing
tree squirrel - any typical arboreal squirrel
family Sciuridae, Sciuridae - a mammal family of true squirrels including: ground squirrels; marmots; chipmunks; flying squirrels; spermophiles
spermophile, ground squirrel, gopher - any of various terrestrial burrowing rodents of Old and New Worlds; often destroy crops
eastern chipmunk, ground squirrel, hackee, striped squirrel, Tamias striatus - small striped semiterrestrial eastern American squirrel with cheek pouches
chipmunk - a burrowing ground squirrel of western America and Asia; has cheek pouches and a light and dark stripe running down the body
baranduki, baronduki, barunduki, burunduki, Eutamius asiaticus, Eutamius sibiricus - terrestrial Siberian squirrel
American flying squirrel - New World flying squirrels
Asiatic flying squirrel - nocturnal rodent of Asia having furry folds of skin between forelegs and hind legs enabling it to move by gliding leaps
|2.||squirrel - the fur of a squirrel|
squirrel something away save, reserve, set aside, hoard, keep, hold, store, collect, gather, put aside, hide away, lay by, put by, salt away, treasure up, keep up your sleeve (informal), put aside for a rainy day Arlott squirrelled away books, pictures and porcelain plates.noun
habitation drey or dray
habitation drey or dray
n → Eichhörnchen nt
adj attr → Eichhörnchen-; squirrel fur → Eichhörnchenpelz m
squirrel(ˈskwirəl) , ((American) ˈskwə:rəl) noun
a type of animal of the rodent family, usually either reddish-brown or grey, with a large bushy tail. eekhoring سِنْجاب катерица esquilo veverka das Eichhörnchen egern σκίουρος orav سنجاب orava écureuilסנאי गिलहरी, चिखुरी vjeverica mókus tupai íkorni scoiattolo りす 다람쥐 voverė vāvere tupai eekhoornekornwiewiórka esquilo veveriţă белка veverička veverica veverica ekorre กระรอก sincap 松鼠 білка گلہری con sóc 松鼠