Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Something used to cover one's true purpose; a decoy.
2. A sham candidate put forward to conceal the candidacy of another or to divide the opposition.
a. A horse trained to conceal the hunter while stalking.
b. A canvas screen made in the figure of a horse, used for similar concealment.
1. (Hunting) a horse or an imitation one used by a hunter to hide behind while stalking his quarry
2. something serving as a means of concealing plans; pretext
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a candidate put forward by one group to divide the opposition or mask the candidacy of another person for whom the stalking-horse would then withdraw
1. a horse, or a figure of a horse, behind which a hunter hides in stalking game.
2. anything used to mask one's true plans; pretext.
3. a political candidate put forth to conceal the candidacy of another person or to draw votes from a rival.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stalking-horse - a candidate put forward to divide the Opposition or to mask the true candidate|
|2.||stalking-horse - something serving to conceal plans; a fictitious reason that is concocted in order to conceal the real reason|
putoff - a pretext for delay or inaction
|3.||stalking-horse - screen consisting of a figure of a horse behind which a hunter hides while stalking game|
|4.||stalking-horse - a horse behind which a hunter hides while stalking game|